: Need a new AR. What to buy? Or build?  ( 248 )

0 1

Need a new AR. What to buy? Or build?
« : August 30, 2016, 09:39:03 PM »

RROPERATOR

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • : 123
  • Enlisted
Sold my Armalite AR. (don't start- I know, should never sell but I need to upgrade) Looking to get a high quality, lightweight, ~6lbs, 16" bbl AR, Looking at the RRA std lightweight or the Daniel Defense lightweight. Both are going to cost about the same. I've never built one and I'm not sure if it will be less expensive with what I think my criteria needs or as high quality. suggestions?

Re: Need a new AR. What to buy? Or build?
« #1 : August 31, 2016, 03:48:50 PM »

speedyquad

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • : 709
Building is fun and easy.  If you are patient, and do your research, you can find quality parts that will bring you in less than the price of a DD. 

« #2 : September 07, 2016, 06:34:07 AM »

JassonVoorhees

• Administrator
  • General
  • : 2827
  • Administrator
 I would build my own, enough people here to help you out.

« #3 : September 07, 2016, 03:53:53 PM »

RROPERATOR

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • : 123
  • Enlisted
Did decide to build. Started looking for parts. Suggestions on which lower to get? Already found a barrel, furniture, upper, forearm and a few other parts. Any hints of suggestions on what to get/avoid would be greatly appreciated.

« #4 : September 07, 2016, 04:13:58 PM »

speedyquad

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • : 709
From what I;ve read all lowers come from the same 6 or so forges.  That means that the name on the lower and the quality of the material drives the cost.  I'm going to put more emphasis on the name driving the cost more. 

I've had no problems with the two Anderson lowers that I've used.   They are probably the cheapest out there, unless you go polymer, which I would not do.  WHen I do another, it will be on another Anderson lower.  Unless I decide to build one on a S&W lower, just to have a S&W AR.

« #5 : September 07, 2016, 07:14:11 PM »

metaleagle

• Military
  • Officer
  • : 86
I have built 2 on PSA lowers and 1 on Anderson. No issues with any. Anderson seems to be the best deal price wise unless Aero has a crazy sale soon.