: Any recommendations for cleaning/protecting blades?  ( 930 )

0 1

Any recommendations for cleaning/protecting blades?
« : July 29, 2014, 12:56:53 AM »

tapJ80

• Military
  • Sergeant
  • : 30
  • Enlisted
Hey folks,

Needing input for some decent products to clean and protect knives.  I am trying to get into knife making and a lot of the steel I am using (scrap) is high carbon and is not the most corrosion resistant.  I know there are plenty of testimonials out there but hoping for some firsthand experiences.

Re: Any recommendations for cleaning/protecting blades?
« #1 : July 29, 2014, 01:33:05 AM »

WHSmithIV

• Military
  • Lieutenant
  • : 198
  • Enlisted
If you're not using quality stainless steel then there isn't much that can be done. Any coating that gets put on the metal will come off when the edge gets sharpened. I generally don't worry about mine too much. Most of my knives are from Finland (since I lived there for 23 years) and have Marttini blades. I use 800 grit graphite paper to clean the blades and to sharpen them and that gets them razor sharp (which is what is needed for slaughtering and skinning meat). You could Duracoat the blades, then only the edge would be exposed metal. Each sharpening would then remove some of the Duracoat at the edge.

A better option would be to anodize the blades. You can make a home anodizing tank and use a regular 12 volt car battery to supply the anodizing power source.

« #2 : July 29, 2014, 10:06:57 AM »

RROPERATOR

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • : 123
  • Enlisted
I've never really worried about it myself. If you look at all the old butcher/hunting knives, almost all of them have a patina that protects the blade from corrosion. Steel wool and WD-40 work well to remove the beginnings of rust. Just remember to wash the knife thoroughly with warm water and dish soap before using. Drying the knife well after washing helps a lot for corrosion prevention. Some people I know put vegetable oil on the blade afterwards. I've found that just keeping it dry is the best medicine.

« #3 : July 29, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »

huckl3berry209

i dont really have any helpful info but id like to learn and watch this thread so im bumping it

« #4 : July 29, 2014, 08:50:49 PM »

Zombiemaster

• Administrator
  • General
  • :
    • Zombie Gear
Vaseline . yep.. put a coat of vaseline on the blade before you put it in the sheath. I use it on my swords for 20 years and have not had any problems. I was told to do so by the man who made this sword.

« #5 : July 31, 2014, 06:35:58 AM »

tapJ80

• Military
  • Sergeant
  • : 30
  • Enlisted
Right on, thanks. I appreciate all the recommendations. It sounds like common sense rules again. I may play around with some oils (gun cleaning) and let you know the results or just keep'em dry and hope for that natural patina-as I have always admired that look.  In fact I have looked into a forced patina (induced with vinegar and other products) and am having some interesting results.