0 1

sks help!!!!
« : January 15, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »

BIGREDONE

• Military
  • Lieutenant
  • : 145
  • Enlisted
Looking at buying my first sks, buying from a friend. He told me it was a 1959 Russian model givin to him by his grandfather years ago. When I went to look at it I couldn't find any markings other than a few numbers stamped on the underside of the barrel.  Trying to figure out what model it might be, or if there is a reason there would be no markings on the usual places. thanks in advance for any help.

Re: sks help!!!!
« #1 : January 15, 2014, 11:10:16 PM »

JassonVoorhees

• Administrator
  • General
  • : 2827
  • Administrator
Some Russian SKS I have seen have the Russian mark on them. I don't know for sure if every Russian SKS was marked that way or not. I know from SKS's that the dust cover, bolt, trigger, trigger guard, receiver, and some stocks have the number stamped into them. If they don't have numbers it seems to me that they have been swaped out with other parts or the numbers taken off. Also, which bayonet did it have? Sometimes these get swaped out for what people want and remove the ones that came with them or take them off and the new owner replaces it with what they can find. If you can take some pictures? I got a friend who has a Russian SKS who would maybe sell it. With the price of and SKS why not get an AK as they a just a bit more and I feel a better rifle?

« #2 : January 16, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »

BIGREDONE

• Military
  • Lieutenant
  • : 145
  • Enlisted
Has the spike bayonet, the reason for purchase is that I don't have any semi-auto rifles and I can get this one for less than 300. It is in real nice shape and has a scope mount on it already.

« #3 : January 16, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »

JassonVoorhees

• Administrator
  • General
  • : 2827
  • Administrator
That seems like a fair price. The spike I thought are mainly for the China and Yugo SKS's, but I could be wrong. You want to check the bolt and gas area, along with the trigger for wear are those are the parts that are hard to get and can cause problems. I had one with a bad trigger that would mag dump on safe. After that happened I fixed it and sold all my SKS items. Went to an AK as its safety is far better. As for the scope mount, from what I have tried and heard is that not to may of them hold zero. The iron sights on the SKS are the same as an AK and work good for what they are. Hope some of this helps you out.

« #4 : January 16, 2014, 10:11:58 AM »

HuntRocketMan

• Military
  • Corporal
  • : 12
  • Enlisted
A Russian SKS should have a star on the rear cover.
Unless it has been replaced by an aftermarket cover w/ring scope mount.

SKS's are very durable and reliable so if it isn't well worn out or abused,
you should get many, many years of use out of it.

$300 for an original configuration Russian SKS is a good price.

« #5 : February 03, 2014, 11:56:11 AM »

huckl3berry209

ig ot to agree to disagree jason on the price and quality regarding sks vs ak. I dont thinka good ak can be had for under 6 bills. But thats my opinion. So many ak manufactures out there cutting corners on production methods where as a sks is made old school with solid design. they justw orl, nto to mention the extra barrel length is nice to ahve a bit more fps speed on the bullet. But apples to oranges, im in commi fornia so i cant buy a ak with a bullet button, just cant bring myself to do it, a sks with a pre ban mag and stripper clips works great for me. and not all russian sks had the star or arow stamp on the dust cover. Many of the stampings on the stocks are very very hard to see as well if they are in fact true old russians. Either way if it is a all numbers matching sks id buy a cheapo stock anyway and save the original stock in case you ever want to re sale it.  also those scop mounts on the dust covers are garbage. Absolute garbage due to the violent mechanical action under that dust cover. the choate mount is the only way to get a true solid mount on them but it requires tapping the reciever. if he doesnt have the original dust cover id offe rhim 285 and see what he says, bc technically its not a complete numbers matching without the original dust cover, and those railed ugly ones with set screws are poop and mount a scope way high lol imho anyway